Thursday 1 November 2012

All Hallows Eve

Halloween in America is.. Wonderfully exhausting.

Princess Peach and the Mario Bros crossing the road. As you  do. 

Today I took the kids trick or treating.

They do it a bit differently here, and all the local shops get involved and give out sweets.
ALL the shops. Even BANKS. (imagine 20 kids running into Natwest and getting anything but a frosty glare..)

Some shops went so hard, I don't see how they weren't losing money!
An ice cream shop was giving out free scoops, Starbucks free cups of hot chocolate (though obviously I don't feel sorry for them) one local patisserie was giving out free MERINGUES.
Home-made, light, delicate meringues with a gorgeous raspberry sauce.

Wasted on kids who were literally smashing them into their faces, and they can't have been cheap to make.

Free Ice Cream (because naturally kids need MORE sugar on Halloween) 


We went up and down shops for about 2 hours. It was long, but really nice, there were lots of kids and parents, and a lovely sense of community.


That foreign word again, community.

I've figured it out though, (one of) the social differences between the UK and the US.

In England, its 'Why would I talk to X?'
In America, its 'Why wouldn't I talk to X?'
And it applies to everything, they do everything together here! Its very different.

Sometimes, when I get asked for 20th time 'what brings you to Berkeley' I would love some London Tube mentality to be adopted. But for the most part, its great.

But I digress. Halloween was lovely.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sharing is caring..