Friday 3 August 2012

The situation..

So I'm kind of moving to California.. For a year.
Yea.
For those of you who had no idea what I'd been planning (i.e everyone)
The story..

In June, I discovered a program called AuPairCare. Basically, in exchange for me providing 9 hours of childcare a day, the agency and 'host family' cover:
My return flights, 4 day training in New York, house & food, health & travel insurance, AND for me to take a college course during the year.
Sounds incredible.. and too good to be true. But after investigation, I discovered the program was totally legit and stuff.

The application process is l o n g g g g; I had to submit 10 documents including medical health form, CRB, police visa check, personal/childcare references, proof of 'good character' (whatever that is) just to apply.
I then had an interview in London, psychometric testing and various other long winding questionnaires.
The next hurdle was completing my online profile for families to choose me - naturally, I wanted my profile to be way better than every other au pair on the site. This involved creating a video to demonstrate my childcare skills (easier said than done), writing a letter to my potential host family (ditto), and filling in a 10 page form to complete my online profile.

Needless to say its taken me 2 months to get everything done, and I just got accepted to the program at the start of July. Awesome.

The next step was to find a family who wanted me as their au pair for the year. This was a crucial step for me, because a family would make or break my time in the US, I really prayed hard that an amazing family would find me. At this point I had no idea where I would be going in America, the agency were sure to repeatedly warn me that there 'Was more to the USA than Florida, NY and California, be prepared to go and love somewhere unexpected'.

But the day after being accepted to the program, my profile went live and I woke up to an email from a family that wanted to speak with me..
'Hello from New York City!!' - I went crazy and was so excited I could hardly breathe. I ended up skyping with this family a couple times. But it didnt work out, they wanted me sooner than I could come, since I'm nanny for 2 girls in London until October.

The next family to contact me were in Virgina, things just never really went anywhere with them. I tried to organise a time to talk but they never got back to me (odd since they requested an interview but whatever).

But then.. A family in Berkeley, CA contacted me, and they are AMAZZZINGGGG. They seem so wonderful, welcoming, and sweet, with similar values and interests. In this process I've always wanted a family who will really welcome me into the fold (excuse the Godfather cliche). I dont just want to nanny in america, I want the whole experience of being an au pair. To form a bond with a family, and have them show me around and just be able to be comfortable with them etc. This family seem so fantastic its made me even more excited to go. After they asked me to be their au pair I ran around the house screaming my head off.. Great family AND great location. S C O R E.
And that's basically where I'm at right now. I've started this blog so I can update all of you that care :) and you can hopefully share in this exciting time with me!
Next hurdle.. US Government.. Shudder. I have to get my visa.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, it's Erin from Scouted on E! I just saw your comment on my Echo Models blog and can't believe I didn't see it before! You're in LA? You should write me back asap! erin@echomodels.com I'd love to chat :)

    ReplyDelete

Sharing is caring..